sábado, 10 de enero de 2009

100 days to get fit. Day 5-7. Jan 7-9

100 days to get fit. Day 5-7. Jan 7-9
Trying to catch up to date here, so decided to do summery of the past days. My pityful upper body generated a few comments on Twitter and Facebook. I still haven't installed stat-app on this blog (I am not sure I like blogger.com - the wordpress seems to have more and better apps), so I don't know yet how many readers I may have.
I would be very pleased to exchange links with my readers, so please let me know.

My upper body: Danny - same age as I and who I have not seen in 22 years, and looks great on his Facebook pictures - says it is diet, diet, diet... and in the next sentence reveals he goes to the gym 5 times a week. I don't like gyms. I like to run. But we do have one of those cheap home gyms, so I shall dust it off and stop using it as cloth-hanger. I actually used it the other day.

After I did some research on the net, I did find what Danny referred to. An article on the internet called Striving for six-pack-abs. I learn the following.
  • It is important what you eat. If you eat junk you will look like junk. - OK sir. I am staying away from junk. I eat quite well being a fish eating vegetarian - whatever that is called. But I drink far too many sport-drinks and sodas.
  • It is also important that rather than eating a lot once, it is better to eat small meals 5-6 times a day. This keeps up metabolism and helps both to burn calories as well as not making you hungry.
  • Do a lot of anaerobic work. This burns fat and is essential to be able to show the abs that are beneath the layer of fat that makes up the beer belly. My running which already is on a healthy level should help here. If I can make longer sessions and occational intervalls, this will up my calorie-consumption.
  • 6 - pack abs are rare. It is for people in their teens to 20s. Attained fat around the belly is an age thing, and is exceedingly difficult to get rid of completely, but not impossible.
  • In spite of being somewhat narcessisticly obsessed with abs, it is not only a beauty thing. It is good for my running. It will give me better posture and decrease lower back pain (which I had a lot of after Luciana was born - and got me started training) and reduce risk of injury. A stronger torso also put less strain on the knees, which certainly are my weak part of my body.
The article also give some exercise to do. Maybe I don't have to go to the gym after all. Below follows a summery of the last days.

Day 5. Wednesday Jan 7.
Hardly any exercise today. But hey we got up at 2.30 AM to drive to Unchog and to bed at 11.30 in Junin at 4100m. Just the fact of sleeping at this altitude is hard work.
There was however the walk at Bosque Unchog with 300m climb between 3400 and 3700m. Tomorrow I am back in Lima, and I will go for a longer run with all this high altitude preparation in my body.

Day 6. Thursday Jan 8
Who am I fooling? After birding at 4100m and constantly feeling water deprived and with a headache, the prospects of exercise was not really an option. Then coming back to Lima, catching up on office work it got later and later and too late for a run.
Decided to go to bed, but on the way passing the room with the weight-machine and have a go at it. A few exercise for pecs, triceps and qudriceps just for the heck of it. Just one series and then to bed.

Day 7. Friday Jan 9.
I had a to see off a birding group early in the morning at 6 AM. I was dressed for running, so I made a run down the malecon of Miraflores. Incredible numbers of people out jogging at this early hour. I am not much of an early morning runner, I must admit. But on the other hand it was quite inspirational to see so many people running. I did 10km, bought some Sporade (similar to Gatorade) and bread at the Vivanda supermarket in Miraflores and then ran the remaining 2 km back to my house. Good to have had the exercise done for the day. Half decent speed with 5.05 min/km and 12km in total.
Would have wanted to do some strength training, but the day was long with much office work do get done.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario