lunes, 5 de enero de 2009

100 days to get fit. Day 2. Sunday run

How to fit in a Sunday run, when you are too busy.

It is Sunday, I have loads of office work to finish before the pending trip tomorrow to Carpish. And I have to go to the airport and pick up a client. Will I have time to run?
Time management again. I could run to the airport. Not all 18 km but maybe half it.

Welcome all to a photo-safari on the run. Let me introduce to you Lima, Peru. On the journey, I'll be giving you some running bio from the last couple of years. Promise, it shall be short. I have written a more detailed report, but I save that for discussions later, if I get questions or comments.


Yours truly on the run!
A few months after my daughter was born in January 2006, I got severe back pain. It was related to poor posture, too much sitting at the desk, too soft bed and carrying Luciana on my shoulder. I could hardly move. Just became a father again, and I felt I was a very old man.
In the beginning of June we moved to our new apartment near Parque Ramon Castilla. In August I was able to slowly pick up running again and started with just a 1-2 laps around the park. 710m. I did resting days in between my runs, took it easy, stretched and all that.
By October I was in great shape. Went to Sira mountains trekking. In November I went to Guyana and did a few rave runs along the road through Iwokrama National Park. Tremendeous beauty.

Parque Ramon Castilla close to my home

A few weeks after Guyana I was checking why the mosquito bites never healed. And then the diagnosis. Leishmaniasis! The dreaded Leish. (This is the part you're supposed to comment on!!!)
I got on treatment in February. I was still running on and off. But in March the medicine I was taking made it impossible. Had severe nausea and had to stop running. No running at all untill I slowly picked it up again in August. The park again with its 710m track, made it easy not to overdo it.


Another view at Parque Ramon Castilla in Miraflores.
Lima was very calm this Sunday afternoon I decided to take the route to El Olivar Park, San Isidro with my camera to show you some of Lima.


Zanjon. No traffic on Sundays.
First over Sanjon (The great ditch) which is the motorway that goes from central Lima to Miraflores and Barranco.

Then up Petit Thours street with the Hiraoka electronics shop


....and the Indean Market where you can handicrafts from all over Peru.


Crossing over Avenida Arequipa soon I pass Huaca Pucllana - The pyramid from ceremonial and administrative center around 500AD


Running along a thin sidewalk bordered by

Lantana flowers

I finally reach El Olivar park. El Olivar is a great place for recreation especially on Sundays.

Look at the birds - a male Eared Dove

and informative signs that help you identify the birds.

Play some ball with the kids

or just go for a walk

Or maybe get an ice-cream.


The Olivar park gets its name from the old colonial Olive groove


It's a serene and beautiful park.
I feel re-newed and re-fueled running here.


At the end of the park is the 5 star Hotel Sonesta El Olivar.


Virgen del Pilar Chuch - San Isidro


Not a car in sight at this street crossing. This time on Monday, it will be completely jammed with cars honking horns.

End of run at Salaverry street with Hotel Melia in background.


Back from the airport, I go via an other Lima Pyramid that has this impressive light display.

Summery: two runs of each 7.5km. Total 15k.
Lessons learnt: Lima is beautiful if one can just get rid of all the cars. Wish every day was a Sunday! I am more than a day behind, I am posting this on Tuesday 00.50H.
Will do two posts tomorrow.

Posted by Picasa

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario